Friday, May 9, 2008

OM Time

After a two month break, I have taken my thoughts back to the mat. I often forget how important it is to cleanse both the mind and soul. Reflecting on life, relationships, values, and spirituality provide me with a calming sense of detoxification. On my mat, I feel peace from the constant distractions provided by societal pressures perceived in western culture. The breath and body move fluidly together allowing both mind and spirit to connect. A connection that is so powerful, you feel an explosive energy pulsating throughout your entire body. Whether or not you are a spiritual person, on the mat you give yourself and your thoughts up to something bigger than yourself. You see life more precious, you view each breath more valuable, and you focus on becoming selfless in a very selfish world. Physically and mentally yoga teaches us to exceed our limits and provides us with a sense of discipline and structure which we take off of the mat and into our lives.