Sunday, March 29, 2009

Southern California: Good Eats


As you may already know, I love to eat so of course it is only natural that I fill you in on some of my recent dining experiences while on vacation in Southern California

First stop, San Diego. After working all day and traveling you can believe me, I was hungry upon arrival. As a result of getting in late in combination with the fact that we were on mountain time we decided to explore what our hotel had to offer. JRDN, was the restaurant inside Tower23 and although we were a bit nervous to settle for what the hotel had to offer, it actually took us both by surprise.


The menu is divided into three separate parts allowing you to either create your own dish, enjoy the raw bar, or tease your taste buds with fresh produce and pearl cous cous for something on the lighter side. Naturally, we opted for something in each category and paired our meal with a Owen Roe Sharecropper's Cabernet Sauvignon. After dinner, we decided to check out the local night life as our hotel also seemed to be a pretty happening place. One word, "gorgeous!" I have truly never seen so many beautiful people, they were everywhere! I think this hotel was a little to hip for me.

Since, we had two nights in San Diego the following evening we ventured into the neighboring town of La Jolla. After walking around the down town area and seeing sushi restaurants everywhere we had made up our minds, sushi it is! Now where to find the best sushi would be our next task. You know when you go on vacation the best places to eat are those not advertised, those that are "off the beaten path." And, we stumbled on Zenbu, a true locals joint. "At Zenbu, you will find "All" staple offerings of a fine Japanese sushi bar along with many delicious items you might not expect." The rolls were decadent unlike anything I have ever had, even in New York and the best part is you can order half rolls that way you have more room to try even more! One of my favorites was: The Salbacore Roll: Spicy Crab, Fresh Asaragus, Asian Pear, Cucumber, Daikon Sprouts, Topped with Seared Albacore and Avocado. Finished with a dot of Siracha, Asian Vinaigrette and Orange Zest.

Next stop, Beverly Hills.

Upon arriving in Beverly Hills, the first thing I noticed was Sprinkles!! I think the photo is does a good job discribing its taste.

Okay, so I am a bit of a pizza snob being from the east coast just a stone throw from Sally's, Pepe's, and having the luxury of living around the corner from Two Amy's (when I lived in Washington, DC). Now, I truly think that Two Amy's is the best pizza I have ever had so I was a bit reluctant about Pizzeria Mozza. However, I must tell you that it is delicious! We started with the the antipasti of crispy goat cheese & umbrian lentils, and a caprese salad. For pizza, I ordered the bianca with fontina, mozzarella, sottocenere & sage and added fennel susage. My dining companion said it was the best pizza he has ever had at Mozza and it was my own personal creation!

All in all, Southern California has GOOD EATS!